Project 4 Part 3: Shorthand Tone






       This project has been my favorite so far. Portraits are something I have done before and have always thought it was really interesting to create a recognizable face from a blank piece of paper. Although, this was also a new experience because I have never used this method before of creating many small marks to make up a shape rather than using more fluid lines. I think I even ended up liking this approach better because it gave the final sketches a more raw feel.








       

       Usually I struggle with the editing process and end up liking the original unedited version better than what my experience with the digital side of things can produce. This time was different though. The final outcome still wasn't what I had exactly in my head as I was adding the digital lines but it rarely is. I've come to accept this as part of the process, and sometimes the unexpected outcome can be better than what I was planning. I like that the second and third images act as a pair because of the color scheme of the black and white drawing with red accents that is always striking to me. The first one of the pair uses red as an accent of beauty in the red highlighting the lipstick and clothes, but the second one uses red in representation of something darker as I stretched and melted the red lines to look like cuts. Both of them have red tinted eyes, which I wanted to use to tie them together as two sides of the same thing; the beauty and the pain exist together. The first drawing is a different approach color-wise but a similar idea. The unedited version feels like what the person looks like on the outside, and the edited version reveals a scarier inside version of what they could feel like, with an added Halloween touch of fangs. Overall I think I need more practice in drawing dark enough and editing in a way that it shows up the best on a screen because I am used to just seeing the work on paper in front of me, but this was a method that I really enjoyed. When I draw a person I feel connected to them as a character that I've created and want to do the best I can to flesh out who they are, and I am definitely planning on creating more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grid Art

Haiku Project

Obsessive Drawing